Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Spreading Wellness: How and why do you tax your balance?

Think of yourself in a beautiful location, a location of your choice that brings you peace, joy and happiness. Picture yourself on your back, eyes closed, allowing yourself to sink into the earth, carpet, yoga mat, whatever it may be, as you set the intention for your own yoga practice. Slowing rolling to the side and getting onto your hands and knees for the cat/cow, and moving your way into sun salutations. Think about the ease of grounding yourself, and the challenges too. Think about the rag doll position, standing on your feet, arms down toward the floor, head hanging, relaxing into this pose, letting go of the tension in your neck, shoulders and back. Aaah.

Now, take this same activity, and imagine yourself on top of the water, doing these same movements on a Stand Up Paddle Board (SUP). Have you done SUP Yoga? How easy is it to truly sink into that rag doll position? Is it the same or different than on land? Did I mention the warrior poses? This makes me chuckle. Why? The first time I tried yoga poses on a SUP was 3 or 4 years ago, and they were a cinch. We had rented a very stable SUP, and I didn't think anything of it. The board was flat and wide, the water we were on was warm. This past weekend at the North Shore Water Festival, I did 2 sessions of SUP Yoga with an instructor. I tried 2 different boards, both stable, but slightly different shapes and patterns. The first session, we didn't get into any difficult poses, so it seemed quite stable. Although with Lake Superior cold water, and pondering the benefits of SUP Yoga and the ability to fully embrace the yoga mindset was something I geeked out on as I enjoyed the class....ok, that meant I wasn't fully embracing yoga, but I wanted to be aware of the similarities and differences so I can teach about it. :) I can truthfully say, there are plenty of differences in SUP Yoga vs. Dryland Yoga, SUP Boards (patterns, shapes, width), and personal daily differences. But one difference among all of them is that SUP Yoga certainly taxes your balance on many more levels than dryland yoga.

What better way to encourage balance practice for SUP Yoga enthusiasts, than the drive to get better at it, and there are many options for balance work on dryland that can help improve SUP Yoga balance. PLUS, now you have a fun reason (why) to work on dryland balance training. :) Want to know more? I'll happily engage in a FREE Wellness Consultation with you. Simply send me an email - info@e3twinports.com. For more information about Wellness Coaching by me, owner of E3, please visit this link.

So, how  and why do you tax your balance? As for me, I enjoy trying new outdoor activities, and now I have more reason to try out different SUP boards too, because no board has ever been the same. :) Thank you, Stone Harbor Wilderness Supply, for inviting E3 to be a part of your Water Festival. It was a fantastic weekend, and I look forward to being involved next year as well. As for you the readers, it is well worth the drive to Grand Marais, MN.

If you have stumbled upon this blog, and would like to be added to our list, simply email info@e3twinports.com, with "Blog Sign-up" in the subject line. I'll happily add you to to our growing list of people. 

E3 Twin Ports, LLC
Energy and Empowerment through Exercise (education and meditation outdoors)
Owner, Jodi L. Tervo Roberts, MS, CSCS, WFR, Yoga Instructor

Jodi L. Tervo Roberts, Owner
E3 Twin Ports, LLC
Helping people to lead healthy, happy, & meaningful lives, while promoting healthy lifestyles through outdoor recreation, fitness, yoga, individual wellness coaching, and interactive educational presentations.

Website: e3twinports.com
YouTube: Channel




LIVE HAPPY, DREAM BIG, SMILE, and PLAY OUTSIDE!

No comments:

Post a Comment